We take a holistic approach when evaluating applicants for the ACE Program. While the following factors will help us determine applicants best for the ACE program, the listed order does not convey levels of importance. The selection committee will consider the whole application and all supporting materials as we build the program cohorts.
- Student-athlete’s level of interest and/or commitment to public service and civic engagement
- Relevant background and experience and level of preparation for experience
- Connection to academic or career goals
- Level of motivation and interest expressed
- General presentation skills (i.e., quality of writing in application, oral communication skills)
- Quality of supporting documents (the coach’s recommendation is a key part of the application)
Overall fit for program
- Will the student-athlete benefit from program’s preparation, in-field support, and reflection activities?
- Will the student-athlete have other opportunities to participate in DukeEngage/Haas Fellowships/BOSP/study abroad, etc., outside of ACE? What other summer opportunities are they considering?
- Will the student-athlete serve as a good ambassador for (1) Duke/Stanford in the community, (2) Duke/Stanford athletic team, and (3) the ACE program on campus?
- The student-athlete’s potential contribution to Duke/Stanford community upon return (i.e., if and how the student is planning to share his/her experience with the Duke/Stanford community, athletic team, etc.)
- Respect for diversity
- Upstanding character