The ACE program offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity not only to see the world, but to have a positive impact on the lives of others. This opportunity allows me to do things that I love—coaching and teaching—while immersed in a culture that is completely different from my own. I am honored to be a part of ACE in Vietnam!
As part of the ACE in Vietnam program, participants will teach academics, sports and life skills to students at under-resourced middle schools in the Mekong Delta with the aim of encouraging them to prepare for higher education.
Kevin’s past experiences with service include volunteering in local food pantries and elementary schools; and with his team, volunteering at the Durham Wellness Center, wrapping gifts for local kids during the holidays, and helping institute a zero-waste sanitation and recycling system for game days at Wallace Wade Stadium.
Dear Future #ACEathletes,
- Best advice for learning about ACE: I talked to a teammate who was a part of the inaugural ACE in Vietnam trip. He had nothing but great things to say. Info sessions are also super helpful!!
- Best advice for applying for ACE: Be humble and confident in applying. Don’t be afraid to be yourself…I also let my mom read it –she said it was good!
- Best advice for getting started at your program: First days can be daunting; confide in your fellow ACE athletes, they are feeling the same way.
- Tips for getting to know your community: Be open to trying new things. Your host community is willing to help you adjust so don’t be afraid to ask!
- Tips for training: Worked out with fellow ACE Athletes, also found a gym in small town rural Vietnam –Whoop! Whoop! Be prepared to wake up with the sun if you plan on working out.