Participating in the ACE program gives me the opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to those living in a developing country. I look forward to learning and growing as a person this summer with other Duke and Stanford students and being able to take my experiences from ACE back to Duke.”
As part of the ACE in India program, Maria will serve as a coaching assistant for sports activities, teach English as a second language courses, and promote computer literacy initiatives for youth at a community center in Dakshinpuri, New Delhi.
Maria’s past experiences with service include participation with the Sophomore Outdoor Leadership Experience, the First-Year Advisory Counselor program, and the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
Dear Future #ACEathletes,
- Best advice for bringing ACE back to campus: During my experience within the ACE program, I realized that I love teaching and children. This semester I decided to take an education class, which also acts as a service learning class. I get to learn about the education system and work alongside children twice a week.
- Best advice for bringing ACE back to your team: I believe that I was able to share my ACE experience with my team through the stories I was able to tell them and the cultural competency I was able to gain. I believe that I grew as a person in India, and hopefully I am able to successfully translate the interpersonal development skills on deck through how I communicate with my teammates and coaches.
- Best advice for staying in touch: I was able to stay in touch with some close Stanford friends through social media. Over the summer I was able to go to San Francisco and ran into my Stanford ACE team members. I stay in touch with the community members and the youth I taught through social media as well.
- Reasons for staying involved: I believe the ACE experience had the most profound influence on my life. I stay involved by being an ACE ambassador! I also keep up with all the social media.
- Tips for documenting your experience: I love photos and how they can jog memories. That said, I printed many of my pictures from India, and have them hanging throughout my room. I also have created a scrapbook full of pictures and journal entries from my time in India.