In Fall 2017, ACE launched a collaborative process to develop core program values. Our goal at the end of the process was to have a small number of core values that will guide our program decisions as ACE continues to grow and develop.
During the ACE Fall Advisory Board meeting held at Stanford in September 2017, the board began the process by identifying and defining values that were already guiding the program. In addition, ACE alumni were heavily involved in the process sharing feedback and contributing to the conversation.
Five values shape our work with student-athletes and host communities, and guide our integration into the civic engagement and public service culture at Duke and Stanford:
- Teamwork is fundamental to our program’s operation.
- Humility and culturally sensitive service guide our approach and partnership model.
- Connecting with communities across the world through sports provides a unique opportunity for our student-athletes to develop as global citizens.
- Immersive, collaborative learning between our student-athletes and community partners is the goal of the program.
- Safety and well-being are priorities in program development and implementation.