We employ a holistic approach in evaluating applicants for the ACE Program, considering multiple criteria to create diverse and cohesive program teams including ensuring a variety of athletic teams are represented on each program.
After reviewing each application based on the criteria below, the selection committee sends invitations to applicants to attend an in-person, on-campus interview. Note: Depending on application numbers, not all applicants will be invited for an interview. After the in-person interview and a possible second round of Zoom/phone interviews with the specific program location staff, the selection committee uses the criteria below to evaluate the applicants’ materials (written application, interview(s) feedback, and coach’s recommendation) to build program teams and select up to 36 Duke student-athletes plus alternates.
Criteria Used to Evaluate Applicants:
- Commitment to Public Service and Civic Engagement: Demonstrated through previous (including high school), present, or desired future involvement in community engagement efforts.
- Relevant Background and Experience: Demonstrated through past (including high school) work and volunteer experience, athletic involvement, internships, participation in campus organizations, activities, and coursework.
- Contribution of ACE Experience to Personal, Professional, and/or Academic Goals: Articulated goals showing the impact of ACE on current or desired personal, professional development, and/or academic interests, and the opportunity to gain international experience.
- Commitment to Positive Group Dynamic and Team Culture: Demonstrated commitment to actively contribute to a positive group program/team experience.
- Coach’s Endorsement: Demonstrated maturity, humility, open-mindedness, and a willingness to learn outside their comfort zone as part of the team. Positive contributor to team culture.
- Quality and Content of Written Application and Interview: Demonstrated ability to build a compelling case for participation in the ACE Program. Note: Depending on application numbers, not all applicants will be invited for an interview.
- Respect and inclusion
- Curiosity, learning, & reflection
- Positive group/team contributor