The ACE program offers student athletes a one-of-a-kind chance to engage in international civic engagement without having to sacrifice other commitments. I am extremely excited to have the unique opportunity to immerse myself in a new culture and learn from the diverse group of people I will be interacting with.”
As part of the Duke in South Africa program, Lizzie will assist with basic healthcare initiatives, activity-based education and teaching, light construction, and sports programs in the community of Nomzamo township near Cape Town.
Lizzie’s past experiences with service include volunteering for Reading with Blue Devils and Swimming with Blue Devils, and membership in the Pre-Law Women’s Leadership Initiative.
Lizzie is a senior on the Duke Swimming and Diving Team and is a Public Policy major with a certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship.Lizzie pursued her passions for healthcare through the ACE in South Africa program since the program’s hands-on global health initiative involved providing nutritional and physical education to elementary school children in the Nomzamo Township.This past summer, Lizzie interned as a healthcare consultant in Washington, DC. She describes ACE as the catalyst to discovering her interests and gaining rich cultural perspective.
Want to hear more about Lizzie’s ACE experience? Contact Lizzie.
Dear Future #ACEathletes,
- Best advice for bringing ACE back to campus: I didn’t know what I wanted to do for a career -ACE inspired me to pursue healthcare and work as a consultant last summer!
- Best advice for bringing ACE back to your team: I love to talk about ACE with my team and coaches. The most rewarding thing was seeing so many teammates apply last year and hearing their stories. It also gave my coaches a better understanding of who I am!
- Best advice for staying in touch: With all of our busy schedules, it’s not always easy to keep in touch, but our mutual experiences from ACE helped solidify friendships that will last on!
- Reasons for staying involved: I helped Emily, the ACE program director, brainstorm new ideas and attended all of the pre-departure meetings. It was a great way to still stay involved with the program.
- Tips for documenting your experience: I am a huge fan of photography and my ACE photos are very special. I recently picked up journaling and have also been tying my ACE experiences into writing.