ACE in China is extremely important to me because it gives me the opportunity to gain experience in the field I see myself working in in the future. I think this opportunity will allow both the students from China and U.S. to learn about each other’s cultures and make lasting friendships!”
As part of the ACE in China program, Domonique will contribute to the sustainable development of underserved communities through youth environmental education and sports while learning about conservation and preservation in Yunnan Province.
Domonique’s past experiences with service include an executive position at Students Offering Caribbean Awareness (SOCA).
Domonique Panton is a Junior at Duke University on the Track and Field Team in which she is a triple jump specialist. During her time in China she found a passion for woman’s rights, children, and a love for Tibetan cultural. She used this new-found passion to take up Tibetan as her foreign language at school, so she will be able to travel back and speak the native tongue of the providence she was in. She also started working at Bull City fit, an organization that works to combat childhood obesity through fun and engaging activities. Domonique decided to take more classes in the Gender Studies department. The ACE trip has been a positive and enlightening experience in her life and she wishes to continue work that focuses on being active and living a sustainable, fun, healthy life.
Want to hear more about Domonique’s ACE experience? Contact Domonique.
Dear Future #ACEathletes,
- Best advice for bringing ACE back to campus: I met with multiple advisors to learn more about independent DukeEngage projects. I also started taking Tibetan.
- Best advice for bringing ACE back to your team: I told them many stories and showed a lot of pictures. They were excited to learn more about the trips and experience them for themselves. My communication and cultural skills also improved as well.
- Best advice for staying in touch: I email one of the staff members at CERS whenever I can! She was amazing and I don’t want to lose touch. Through Instagram or Snapchat we stay in touch. Sometimes it’s hard but hearing from her always makes me happy.
- Reasons for staying involved: It’s shown me my passion, and allowed me to explore options I didn’t even think were open. This program means the world to me and anything I can do to give back I would.
- Tips for documenting your experience: I uploaded all of my photos to my computer and some of the best ones to my phone. They were my screensavers for my devices and I printed and framed some as well.